Thursday, January 14, 2021

Names of God: The Good Shepherd


There has been a lot of name calling on social media lately (most grown ups don't say it to anyone's face). The one that hits me is "sheep" or "sheeple".  People are using the name "sheep" to refer to those they believe are blindly following a certain political party or a representative of a certain party. 

I get what they are saying when they use the term sheep. 
But it hits wrong with me because Scripture says 
we are like sheep.

The question for me is not
 "Are we sheep?"
 but "Who is our shepherd?"
 Is it our government? a certain political leader? 
man made laws and rules? scientists? 
or maybe ourselves (refusing to be mastered)?

But Jesus says that HE is the "Good Shepherd" so that means that we should want to be sheep. Not sheep following just any shepherd. But sheep who follow HIM. HE protects, nurtures, and guides HIS flock. HE knows the way we should go, HE knows and wants what is best for us. 
Why would we not follow?

God is not just a hired keeper of the sheep,
someone who would flee and abandon us 
at the first sign of trouble,
 HE is the Good Shepherd who laid down HIS life for HIS sheep, for us!
Why would we not follow?

Whether we admit it or not, we are helpless and defenseless
 without our Shepherd. Things come up in our lives 
that we cannot defend against. 
Why would we not follow?

So, am I a sheep? Yup!
But my Shepherd is not a man,
a political party,
a politician or a boss......

My Shepherd is the Good Shepherd,
who loves me and wants what is best for me.
I gladly follow blindly.

Who is your shepherd?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips