Monday, March 1, 2021

Names of God: LORD

Anyone else out there who can't stand being told what to do?
Just me???

Total confession...
even when someone tells me to do something
and I totally agree with them....
I still don't like that someone else told me to do it :(

I know, it's a struggle.

Do we also struggle over this with God?

Our name for this week is LORD.
LORD is a rendering of Adoni,
which is a title that emphasizes HIS Lordship.
It's a title given to someone with authority, control,
power over others, master, ruler.....
(anyone getting uncomfortable?)

Back in the day,
it was a title of respect.
But it turned into a declaration of Jesus' deity.
It became a confession that Jesus Christ is God.
And this confession is THE way to salvation.

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord
 and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead,
 you will be saved.
Romans 10:9
If we choose to make this declaration,
then that makes HIM LORD.
It makes HIM the boss of us :)

If we confess "Jesus is LORD"
then we commit ourselves to obey HIM.

If HE is our LORD,
then HE owns us and has the right to tell us what to do.

How are we doing with this?

Many of us confess that HE is LORD,
but how are we doing when HE gives us a command?
When HE tells us to do something that we don't want to do?
When HE tells us to walk away from that high paying job?
When HE tells us to stick it out with a certain relationship?
When it's something good, yet we don't want to do it just because someone told us to do it?

I like to think that I am much better at obeying God 
than I am at obeying man but
it is something that I talk to HIM about a lot.

I'm sure there are many times when I miss the mark,
when I pause too long,
when I talk to HIM about it for too long
(all of which is disobedience).

I am so thankful for grace and mercy
and for HIS remembering that I am flesh.
I am so thankful for HIS patience with me.
I am thankful that HE keeps working on me,
that HE keeps using me and that HE doesn't give up on me as I am learning to be obedient.

And we know that one day every knee will bow....
I want to do it now, 
willingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips